How Do I Isolate the 24v and the 12v Systems on My Boat?


I am looking at an Albin 30' Family Cruiser from the early 80s. It has a 24 Volt DC electrical system. In order to install 12 VDC equipment I need to install a 24VDC to 12VDC converter. My question is do I get one that isolates the two voltages or one with a common ground between the voltages. How do I wire each type of converter?  Thanks, Erik


We’d suggest getting an isolated DC to DC converter, it’s a great way to isolate your 24 VDC and 12 VDC system. Suggest you consider the Victron models and follow the instructions from the manuals. - Jeff